Friday was ‘Pour Cement in the Basement Day’, which started off well. We got the first batch from Carman Concrete in around 8:00 in the morning, and it seemed a bit wet, but not so bad (to my highly trained eye). We got it reasonably level, got the second batch in, which wasn’t quite as wet, and then about an hour later the final batch, which seemed just right. Cory and Adam then headed off to another work site, and Tom and I hung around to level the concrete.
But it was still pretty wet, especially the first pour. Tom did what he could with the Power Trowel, and I did a bit of hand troweling around the edges, but we ended up having wait a long time for the first pour to cure enough to work properly. Then around 9:00 it started to rain, which didn’t help. We hadn’t been able to shingle the entire roof, so water started to leak into the basement. The water itself wasn’t a big deal, but where it dripped left little craters in the cement. We put some poly up to direct the water to the walls, but some spots still got marked.
On the plus side, Tom let me try the Power Troweler for a bit. Not sure it that means I’m getting better with tools, or if he was woozy from the fumes; I suspect the later.
I headed home around midnight, but Tom stayed later to do one more pass. Not sure when he made it home, but it must have been late.